The York-Credit Valley Area Council exists to support the mission and ministry of York-Credit Valley. The Area Council acts in an advisory capacity to the Area Bishop, providing advice and suggestions on matters specific to the York Credit Valley Area as well as on other matters referred to the Council by the Area Bishop, Diocesan Council or Synod.
The responsibilities of Area Council are to:
- advise the Area Bishop on strategic planning matters;
- propose and recommend a budget for its operations;
- supervise and authorize the payment of funds from its budget as authorized by Synod and Diocesan Council;
- develop and propose policy recommendations to Diocesan Council for its consideration;
- report on its activities to Diocesan Council at least annually;
- provide opportunities in the Area for lay and clergy training events and other Area gatherings;
- appoint youth and young adult members to Synod as required by the Constitution; and
- appoint or elect one Area Council member who is a member of Synod as a representative of the Area Council to Diocesan Council.
Area Council membership is composed of:
- The Area Bishop
- The Elected Chair of Area Council
- The Regional Deans of the Area
- Representatives of the clergy and laity elected in a manner determined by the Area Bishop in consultation with the Area Council
- Other members at large
Elected members of the Area Council shall be limited to a maximum of three successive terms of two years each, following which no such member may be elected for two years.
The person elected to be Chair of the Area Council is not subject to this limitation of term.
The Area Bishop may also appoint persons as members without limitation of term.
Meetings and Committees
The Area Council meets meets approximately six times a year at churches throughout the Area. The work of the Council is guided by Diocesan policies such as the Strategic and Sustainable Ministry Policy and is executed by several planning groups.
Currently, the groups are:
- Strategic and Parish Analysis
- Youth and Children Communications
- Area Education and Governance
- Missional Work
- Financial Guidelines
The Area Council’s budget is resourced directly from the Diocesan budget.
The budget funds clergy and lay training, parish partnerships, outreach and advocacy, youth ministry, the chaplain for the retired clergy in the area and deanery expenses as well as specific work as agreed by the Council – for example, currently funding is provided for Back to Church Sunday.