Clergy remuneration is determined by the Area Bishop in consultation with the parish churchwardens. At the Oct. 21, 1999 Executive Committee meeting, the following motion was passed: “That the stipend of clergy paid at the minimum level be automatically adjusted on Jan. 1 of each year to reflect the annual increases for CPI and years of service.”
The clergy remuneration package consists of:
- a stipend
- either living accommodation or a reasonable housing allowance
- reasonable costs for fuel, telephone and public utilities (taxable benefits)
- the diocesan benefits plan, including group insurance, dental, vision, and extended health care
- short and long term disability
- the national professional development plan (Continuing Education)
- the pension plan
- statutory benefits such as Canada Pension Plan and Employment Insurance premiums.
Reimbursement of travel expenses will be in accordance with Diocesan policy. Effective January 1, 2012, the rate is $0.52 for the first 5,000 km., and $0.46 thereafter.
For more information about clergy remuneration please review the following:
- Section A of the Parish Human Resources Manual
- current annual Clergy Remuneration Information Memo (for 2017 – revised)
- Employee Premiums Memo
- previous Clergy Remuneration Information Memo (for 2016)
- Clergy Housing Policy Statement
- Housing Allowance Policy
- Fair Rental Value and Utilities Guidelines
- Benefits Information,
- or contact Amy Talbert, Human Resources Coordinator.
Please note that as of Jan. 1, 2010, the Canada Revenue Agency has new guidelines and procedures for clergy who wish to claim their housing allowance as a non-taxable benefit. Please read the memo which was mailed to all active clergy Nov. 4, 2009.
The 2017 T1213 package for Clergy receiving a housing allowance was mailed out at the end of October. If you did not receive a package, and you receive a paid housing allowance, please contact Claire Wilton, General Accountant.
The Diocesan Insurance broker, Marsh Canada is pleased to offer Preferred Group Insurance Rates for Diocesan Clergy and Staff.
Information on remuneration for Part-Time Clergy is also available on the website.