Effective April 30, 2018, the provincial Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing implemented a standard lease template for all new leases. Landlords of most private residential rental units – from individual landlords to property management companies – must now use the standard lease template for all new leases.
The Trusts Committee requires that all leases, new or renewals, be put on the new form of standard provincial lease.
Please see the Summary Chart for detailed requirements.
Mandatory Insurance: Please see the Summary Chart for detailed requirements
Lease Agreements – Residential Tenancies
- The new Simplified Canon 6 Procedure applies.
- Complete all due diligence items on the Yellow Checklist
- Email a fully completed & signed checklist to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once a fully completed & signed Checklist is submitted, parishes may proceed to sign the Lease Agreement and allow occupancy. Checklists are reported quarterly to the Trusts Committee & Diocesan Council.
- Renewals must follow the above process.
- Please refer to section 11 of the provincial lease re: Tenant’s Insurance. The tenant must have their own insurance at all times.
- Please refer to section 15 of the provincial lease re Additional Terms, which specifies the mandatory insurance coverage required. Include the ‘Additional Terms’ as an attachment to the Lease Agreement.
- Landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities remain the same under the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 (RTA). For details, please see: http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page18704.aspx
- If it becomes necessary to terminate a residential tenancy agreement, please consult the appropriate section of the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006, S.O. 2006, c.17. The Landlord and Tenant Board should also be consulted.
Lease Agreements – Commercial Tenancies
- The full Canon 6 process applies for all new & renewal Commercial Lease Agreements. There is no change to this process.
All other forms of Agreements must be approved by Diocesan Council in accordance with Canon 6.
For more information, please contact Wendy Pearson, Property Resources Assistant, 416-363-6021 ext. 280 (1-800-668-8932).