Notice of Meeting
The Rt. Rev. Andrew Asbil, Bishop of Toronto, has signified his intention to assemble the Synod of the Diocese of Toronto for the 160th Regular Session of Synod on:
- Thurs., Nov. 25, 2021 from 6:45 pm to 8:30 pm – Opening Worship (livestream on YouTube and Facebook)
- Fri., Nov. 26, 2021 from 9:45 am to 5 pm (lunch from 12 noon to 1 pm), and
- Sat., Nov. 27, 2021 from 9:45 am to 12 noon
The meeting will be held virtually using an Online Event Platform.
Theme - Love Thy Neighbour
The theme of this 160th Regular Session of Synod is ‘Love Thy Neighbour.’ In reflecting on these words with the Galatians, Paul writes, “And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.” To the Corinthians, he writes, “Let all that you do be done in love.”
- Section A – Notice of Meeting, general information, etc.
- Section B – Diocesan Council’s Report to Synod
- Affordable Housing (starting on page 74)
- Diocesan Environmental Plan and Single-Use Plastics (starting on page 76)
- Section C – Financial Report for 2020, Financial Statements for the Incorporated Synod and Financial Statements for the Cemetery Fund
- Section D – Priorities and Plans and Budget for 2022
- Section E – Assessment Rate for 2022
- Section F – Constitution and Canons Committee
- Section G – Governance Pilot Project
- List of Synod Members: Lay Members of Synod (by congregation), Lay Members of Synod (by surname), Youth, Ex-Officio, Bishop’s Appointees, Administrators, Lay Canons, Courtesies of the House, Clerical Members of Synod (by surname)
- Diocesan Apportionment Calculations
- Diocesan Statistical Return for 2019
- Minutes of the previous meeting
- Other Reports to Synod
Q: I have an iPad, not a computer. Will that be an acceptable device to use?
A: Yes, you can use an iPad to join Synod and Pre-Synod events. However, it’s not ideal especially if you are a voting Synod member. The screen proportions shift a little and the link to vote, to the help buttons and the phone in number won’t be as easy to see or access as it would in a computer, however you can get used to it.
Q: Will you be providing close captioning at this year’s Synod?
A: Yes, we will be providing close captioning at all area Pre-Synod meetings and Synod.
Q: Is November 25th going to be the Eucharist and celebration of FaithWorks all in the evening?
Q: Will there be voting business to attend to as well on Thursday evening?
A: No voting business has been booked for Thursday, November 25th.
Q: Is there any current layout/structure for the 26th and 27th days?
A: The Agenda Committee is currently working on the Agenda for Synod, so we do not have confirmation regarding timing. However, please note that we are planning to have a shorter Synod on both Friday and Saturday.
Q: We were considering watching and participating together in the church hall, but I wonder how that might effect voting? Would everyone need to be signed in separately to vote?
A:Multiple people watching Synod together on one large screen will not impact voting, provided each voter uses their device (phone, iPad/tablet, etc.) to cast their vote when the time comes.