162nd Regular Session of Synod
The 162nd Regular Session of Synod was held in Richmond Hill on Nov. 17- 18, 2023.
The following documents were made available to Synod members:
- Agenda for Synod
- Section A – Convening Circular (general information)
- Section B – Synod Council’s Report to Synod
- Section C – Audited Financial Statements for The Incorporated Synod of the Diocese of Toronto and The Cemetery Fund
- Section D – Priorities and Plans and Financial Budget for 2024 and 2025
- Section E – Constitution and Canon Changes
- Section F – Pilot Governance Project Evaluation Report
- Section G – Update on 2022 Synod Motion #11G
- Cast the Net “20 Calls to the Diocese”
- List of Synod Members: Lay Members of Synod, Youth, Ex-Officio, Bishop’s Appointees, Administrators, Lay Canons, Courtesies of the House, Clerical Members of Synod
- Diocesan Apportionment Calculations for 2024
- Congregational Statistical Information for 2022
- Minutes of the 161st Regular Session of Synod
- Other Reports to Synod
- Affordable Housing motion chart
- Pre-Synod Report 2023
Breakout Session Workshops
The following Workshops were held at Synod:
Wills, Estates and Tax – why we all need an end-of-life plan
Presenters: Peter Misiaszek, CFRE Director of Stewardship Development, Mary Lynne Stewart, Executive Director, Anglican Diocese of Toronto Foundation
Do you have a Will? Do you even know why you need one? Learn why you need a Will, how to get one, how to plan your estate and how to ensure that the people you love and the causes you care about are provided for when you pass on. Learn more.
Presenters: Canon Mary Conliffe, Diocesan Executive Assistant, Archdeacon Kyn Barker, The Rev. Canon Janet Read-Hockin, Sister Elizabeth Rolfe-Thomas SSJD
This workshop is intended for both those who are personally exploring a call to ordained ministry or the Religious life, and for clergy and parish leaders who have identified and/or are raising up new vocations from among their own congregations. The discernment and postulancy process for priests, deacons and the Religious Orders will be described.
Where have all the Volunteers Gone?
Presenters: Elizabeth McCaffrey, Volunteer Resources Consultant, Joy Packham, ODT.
Strategies to grow parish volunteerism. Learn more.
Children’s Ministry Conversation Starter
Presenters: Canon Laura Walton, Canon Administrator, The Rev. Bonnie Skerritt, The Rev. Brian Suggs
We don’t have all the answers but join us to start a conversation around the new normal of Children and Young Family Ministry within our Anglican context. How do we empower parishes to create a welcoming space for children and young families?
Lusophone Ministry in the Diocese of Toronto and the Diocese of Brasilia
On the upper level in the Thornhill Room
Presenters: The Rev. Canon Maurice Francois and the Rt. Rev. Mauricio Andrade.
This workshop is for those who would like to spend more time with Bishop Mauricio Andrade, to hear about the Diocese of Brasilia and to explore our hopes and dreams for a companion partnership with that part of our Anglican Communion family in the Global South.
Regional Ministry Approaches
Presenters: Janet Marshall, Director of Congregational Development and David Krause, Canon Missioner.
A workshop on regional ministry approaches for sustainable and innovative ministry.
Presenters: Patricia D’Souza, Treasurer & Director of Finance and Rebecca Scott, Bookkeeper
The workshop will cover details about various grants, Types of funds- general, restricted & endowments, Investments in the Consolidated Trust funds, Q & As. Learn more.
Property Mandate from Synod
Presenters: Stuart Hutcheson, ODT and Peter Patterson, ODT – Co-Chairs, Property Committee, and Mac Moreau, Director of Property Resources.
Reflecting on the many property-related motions from Synod, this breakout session will explore the role and work of the Property Committee, the property Priorities & Plans for the coming term, the strategies being executed and the milestones achieved.