The Ministry Allocation Fund (MAF) was created under the Capital Redeployment Policy of the Diocese, which also sets up how this fund is managed and administered. It provides grants or loans in three broad categories: real estate purposes; congregational growth and ministry resources; and creating new forms of ministry. The process for application for MAF grants follows a different approval path depending on the category. This is the approval path for MAF: Real Estate Purposes.
MAFs for Real Estate Purposes initially fall under the jurisdiction of the Property Department of the Diocese, but are ultimately reviewed by the Executive Board. The Executive Board will consider the needs of the Diocese and will recommend to Diocesan Council how to redeploy proceeds and any income earned thereon for real estate purposes. These recommendations can include making loans or grants to acquire real property, acquiring real property, forgiving or repaying parish debt incurred to acquire real property, or creating an endowment fund, the income of which is for real estate purposes.
Capital project grant funding may be provided for the expansion of existing churches, building of a new church, or property improvements may be considered, provided there is measurable enhancement of parish ministry.
Please consult the approval requirements prescribed under Canon 6. All capital improvement projects must be discussed with the Area Bishop and the Director of Property Resources, in their initial stage of development. MAF Grants are not for capital repairs or deferred maintenance.
Application Form / Checklist:
- Click the link to download the “Ministry Allocation Fund Grant – Real Estate Purposes” application form.
- Consult with your Area Bishop and the Director of Property Resources.
- Your application should include
- a completed form with signatures of the Incumbent and Churchwardens of the Parish
- a letter of support from the Area Bishop
- a copy of the Vestry Resolution giving approval in this matter
- most recent audited annual report to Vestry, including all financial statements
- current operating fund statements – year-to-date
- plans or sketches of project, including site plan, floor plans and elevation drawings
stamped and signed by both an Architect and an Engineer
- quotations or estimates that are within 5% of budget
- Submit the application to David Badian, Director of Property Resources, for processing.
Complete application packages must be received at least one (1) week prior to the Executive Board meeting date (this year’s schedule is available on the Executive Board web page). The Secretary of Synod will advise the parish in writing within two (2) weeks of Diocesan Council’s approval under Canon 6.
For further information please contact David Badian, Director of Property Resources, by email or by phone at 416-363-6021 ext. 245 (1-800-668-8932).