For Retirees

In the event of a discrepancy between the information on this website and the Policies, the terms of the Policies will apply.

General Synod Pension

Pension amounts are paid at the end of each month. For more information please contact the General Synod Pension Office.

Post-Retirement Benefits

Health Care Spending Account: For retirees who are now part of the Health Care Spending Account for Retirement Benefits (those that retired after December 1, 2007), please use the medical claim form for prescriptions and the health care spending account claim form for submitting claims for dental or other benefits. For information and frequently asked questions please read the Health Care Spending Account brochure.

Benefit Claim Forms: For those who were grandfathered into the previous, modified Retirement Benefits Plan (retired before December 1, 2007) please use the medical claim form, and dental claim form.

Have Questions?: If you have questions about if a claim for benefits or what is covered by your benefits please contact Manulife (1-888-968-5555) or the General Synod Pension Office (1-800-265-1070). You will need your plan and certificate numbers on hand.

Ministry after Retirement

Honorary Assistants
Honorary Assistants are appointed by the Area Bishop on the recommendation of the Incumbent, and may work from one to six units per week. Their duties may include assisting at services, pastoral visiting and leading study groups. Allow preparation time for the sermon or the study group as well as for other ‘hidden’ work. Prior to the appointment of an Honorary Assistant there should be agreement on the number of units to be worked. If the parish is not making statutory deductions (such as tax), you will be responsible for ensuring the appropriate deductions are paid when you file your income taxes.

Interim Priest-in-Charge
The duties of an Interim Priest will be determined at the time of appointment and may range from one Sunday Service to a maximum of seven units. Reimbursement at the per unit rate has been calculated to compensate for the fact that benefits are not paid. If more time is required, the Area Bishop will negotiate reimbursement, apportioned to the time that is being worked. If the parish is not making statutory deductions (such as tax), you will be responsible for ensuring the appropriate deductions are paid when you file your income taxes.

Sunday Supply
If the services for the day require a sermon, a unit is required for preparation plus a unit for delivery. If a second sermon with a different set of lections is required, or the time required is significantly more than three hours, an additional unit must be paid. For example Sunday morning:

Service(s) *
no sermon 1 unit
Service(s) * same sermon 2 units
More than one service different sermons 3 units

* An early morning said Eucharist alone does not normally qualify for 1 full unit. In the case of Sunday supply, travel expenses to and from the church should be reimbursed, whether the individual travels by personal automobile, public transit, or cab.

In order to ensure equitable remuneration of part-time clergy, the Diocese has devised a system of ‘units’ of work. A ‘Unit’ is a morning, an afternoon or an evening. The rate is adjusted annually by the same cost-of-living percentage as the clergy stipend increase. Reasonable reimbursement of travel expenses should be provided if the appointment includes travelling and visiting. Travel does not include commuting between church and home.

The annual Clergy Remuneration Information Memo contains information regarding unit rates, deductions, and travel rates. This document is posted on the Diocesan website and every November, and the churchwardens, treasurers, and clergy are notified via the Bulletin Board.

For 2019 the unit rate is $106.43

Previous Unit Rates:

  • 2018: $104.14
  • 2017: $102.00
  • 2016: $100.16
  • 2015: $98.97
  • 2014: $96.56
  • 2013: $95.32