Every work arrangement should be in writing. The onus is on the employer to state expectations clearly.
An independent contractor agreement is used for working relationship that are not employment relationships. A contractor:
- Provides a service
- Submits an invoice for the service they provide
- Has the ability to subcontract
- Has multiple clients
- Owns their own tools or equipment
- Assumes the risk of financial profit or loss
- Assures the churchwardens that they have a GST number, and adequate insurance coverage
- Acts with limited direction and supervision.
Please see the Employee vs. Contractor page for more information that will help you determine if the person you are hiring is an Employee or a Contractor.
The Diocese has put together a sample Independent Contractor Agreement for you to review and modify as appropriate to your parish setting.