Upcoming Meeting Dates
The following meetings have been tentatively booked:
- January 26, 2017
- February 23, 2017
- March 23, 2017
- April 20, 2017
- Saturday, May 27, 2017
- June 22, 2017
Please note that documentation must be received at least one week in advance of the meeting dates above for distribution to the Diocesan Council.
For more information, please contact Pamela Boisvert, Assistant Secretary of Synod by calling 416-363-6021 ext. 231 (800-668-8932).
What is the main purpose of Diocesan Council?
The focal purpose of the Diocesan Council is “planning and managing.” It acts on behalf of the Synod between sessions/meetings of the Synod. It is accountable to the Synod for:
- effective planning and establishing budgets to carry out the priorities of the Synod,
- establishing and implementing effective policies, and its actions between the sessions of the Synod.
Diocesan Council is not allowed to approve items of a legislative nature. For example, it is not allowed to approve a change in the constitution of the Diocese. Nor is it permitted to change the meeting frequency or content of Synod meetings or those things spelled out in the constitution. However, it is empowered to implement the plans which the Synod has approved, to create policy for supporting the operations of the Synod and it is empowered to do its work through Boards and Committees which it creates.
The Boards and Committees of Diocesan Council are: Executive Board, Audit Committee, FaithWorks Allocations Committee, Nominating Committee, Our Faith-Our Hope Allocations Committee and Trusts Committee.
Diocesan Council is accountable to the Synod.
Size and Membership
The membership of Diocesan Council is set out in Canon 2 of the Diocese.
- the Bishop
- the Coadjutor Bishop and the Suffragan Bishops
- the Chancellor
- the Registrar
- the Dean of Toronto
- the President of the Diocesan Anglican Church Women
- the Honorary Secretaries
- One clerical and two lay members from each Area, elected by the members of that Area, at or prior to the date of the meeting of the Synod
- up to 15 members appointed by the Bishop in consultation with the Area Bishops
- one member from each Area Council
For more information, please contact Pamela Boisvert, Assistant Secretary of Synod, by calling 416-363-6021 ext. 231 (800-668-8932).