In November 2021, Synod approved motions dealing with the Constitution and Canons that changed the Diocese’s governance structure. As a result, the Diocese is embarking on a pilot governance project starting for two years starting on Jan. 1, 2022.
Regular report-backs to Synod will be made semi-annually, with a comprehensive evaluation in November 2023. Approved changes to the governance structure included:
- Diocesan Council and Executive Board were amalgamated into one body called Synod Council.
- The size of Synod Council is 25-27 members.
- Five committees are established: Audit Committee, Finance Committee, Property Committee, Human Resources Committee, and Risk and Governance Committee.
- Existing committees were amalgamated.
- The committees will have decision-making authority delegated to them with parameters established by Synod and Synod Council.
Synod Council meets regularly to carry on the work of Synod between its sessions. This group is responsible to Synod for:
- developing and overseeing priorities to implement the diocese’s vision and mission
- budget development, recommendation, oversight and midterm adjustment, if needed.
Once priorities have been approved by Synod, Synod Council acts strategically to assign those priorities to committees. Then, the council oversees them and monitors their work through a regular reporting framework.
Upcoming meeting dates
The following meetings have been booked for 2022/2023:
- July 21, 2022
- August 18, 2022
- September 29, 2022
- October 20, 2022
- December 15, 2022
- January 19, 2023
- February 23, 2023
- March 30, 2023
- April 27, 2023
- May 25, 2023
- June 22, 2023
The Secretary of Synod must receive documentation electronically at least two weeks before the meeting dates so materials can be distributed to council members.
Secretary of Synod
416-363-6021 (1-800-668-8932) ext. 231