National Aboriginal Day of Prayer – June 19, 2016
Parishes are encouraged to observe National Aboriginal Day of Prayer every year as a way of acknowledging the significant contributions of Indigenous communities to the history and future of our country and our church. This year National Aboriginal Day of Prayer will be observed on June 19 in the Diocese of Toronto. Resources for National Aboriginal Day of Prayer 2016 include:
- Homiletic notes for Propers (BAS) (links to the Propers are found here)
- “Let Our ‘Yes’ be Yes” – statement from Primate Fred Hiltz on Truth and Reconciliation Commission Call to Action #48
- United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (the Primate has called for churches to read out the Declaration as part of their gatherings)
Social Justice Vestry Motion for 2016: Answering the Call to Reconciliation
The Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (TRC) has given voice to the experiences of more than 6000 residential school survivors and their families and has called for action towards ongoing reconciliation from all levels of government, churches involved in the residential school system, and other stakeholders. As part of our efforts to respond to this call, this year’s social justice vestry motion encourages parishes to carry out reflection and study within their congregations as well as calling on the government to implement key elements of the TRC’s recommendations. We hope that your parish will join us in undertaking this work by passing this year’s motion and committing to continue working towards reconciliation at every level of the church and in all parts of the country.
Resources for this year’s vestry motion include:
- 2016 Vestry Motion wording (in Word)
- 2016 Vestry Motion Backgrounder (pdf) (for booklet printing)
- Reflections from Bishop Mark MacDonald
- Brief Power Point Presentation
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada “Executive Summary” and “Calls to Action“
- Video resources from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada
- Primate Michael Peers, “Apology to Native People“
- KAIROS Canada “Education for Reconciliation Action Tool Kit“
- Host a KAIROS Blanket Exercise Workshop in your parish
We will also be holding half-day formation sessions in each episcopal area to help build the capacity of parish leaders to speak to the issues addressed in this year’s motion. Details of these events, happening in January 2016, will be posted shortly.
Updated Outreach & Advocacy Prayer Cycle
The Outreach & Advocacy Prayer Cycle has been updated for use in your parish and ministries for the 2015-2016 liturgical year. You can download this resource below
Watch our Advocacy Video!
Our five-minute video “Out of Poverty – From Charity to Justice” gives basic facts on poverty and how you can respond. It is ideal for parish use. We invite you to share it on Facebook or Twitter!