Bishop Riscylla Shaw
Bishop Riscylla Shaw is the area bishop of Trent-Durham. Before becoming a bishop, Bishop Shaw was the incumbent (rector) of Christ Church, Bolton. Before that she was the incumbent of the Parish of Minden-Kinmount. She earned a Master of Divinity from Wycliffe College in 1999 and was ordained deacon in 2001 and priest the same year. Bishop Shaw is Metis and serves as an Ambassador of Reconciliation in the Diocese of Toronto.
Bishop's OfficeTrent-Durham Area Office 965 Dundas Street West, Suite 207. Whitby, ON L1P 1G8 Phone: 905-668-1558 Office Hours: Monday – Thursday
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Area Administrative Assistant
Commissary to the Bishop
the Rev. Canon Anthony Jemmott
Please call or email before you visit to arrange a specific appointment time or to confirm Bishop Shaw’s availability.
Trent-Durham Deaneries & Regional Deans
Trent-Durham Area Council
The Trent-Durham Area Council supports the mission and ministry of the area bishop, the parishes and other community service agencies in this episcopal area. The council initiates and implements programs for Christian education and mission, including an annual Area Day of celebration, a clergy retreat and a lunch for retired clergy, their spouses and widows. It also responds to requests from parishes for counsel and financial support.
The Area Council meets four times each year: March, June, September and December. It meets in a different parish each time.
The Area Council consists of the following members:
- area bishop
- regional deans
- clergy representatives
- lay representatives (2 or 3 per deanery)
- Youth Social Justice Coordinator
- Doug Willoughby – Oshawa Deanery
- Bill Moore-Ede – Durham-Northumberland Deanery
- Sharon O’Connor – Durham-Northumberland Deanery
- The Rev. Canon Claire Wade – Oshawa Deanery
- The Rev. Canon Ted McCollum – Victoria-Haliburton Deanery
- The Rev. Jesse Parker – Durham-Northumberland Deanery
- The Rev. Gloria Master – Peterborough Deanery
- The Rev. Keith Joyce – Durham-Northumberland Deanery
- The Rev. Warren Leibovitch – Victoria-Haliburton Deanery
- The Rev. Joan Cavanaugh-Clark – Victoria-Haliburton Deanery
- The Rev. Frank Tyrrell – Peterborough Deanery
- The Rev. Barbara Russell – Durham-Northumberland Deanery
Trent-Durham Area Council designates a portion of its budget for grants for parish ministry in the areas of:
- congregational development
- Christian education
- youth ministry
Grant requests are considered twice a year (September and December). These grants are normally under $10,000. Each application is reviewed by a member of the Area Council and presented with a recommendation to the council. All applications should include consultation with your regional dean.
Other funding opportunities
To give your funding application the best chance of success and to avoid wasted effort, you may want to consider whether your needs may be better served by applying to one of the other diocesan funding opportunities.
for the building of or additions to existing Sunday Schools