Skip To Content

Baker Foundation Grant

Grants from the Baker Foundation are for building new Sunday Schools or additions/renovations to existing Sunday Schools.


Baker Fund Grants fall under the jurisdiction of the Risk and Governance Committee. Projects that need a building permit or a loan that won’t be retired within one year need separate approval from Synod Council under Canon 6.

In general, the committee won’t fund entire projects, so your parish will also need to contribute funds.

Application form/checklist

Applications fall into two categories:

New construction, which requires:

  • a description of the overall project
  • cost of the overall project
  • project timing
  • current Sunday School data
  • the construction cost associated with the Sunday School portion

A Baker application for new construction should form a part of your new construction submission to the Executive Board.

Repairs or addition to existing Sunday Schools, which requires:

  • a description of the project in general
  • type of project (e.g. repair, renovation)
  • reason for the project (e.g. expansion, flood, fire, safety)
  • project cost
  • current Sunday School data

Steps to take

  • Download the Baker Fund Grant application form
  • Consult with your bishop
  • Your application should include:
    • a completed form with the churchwardens’ signatures
    • a letter of support from the bishop
    • a copy of the vestry meeting resolution giving approval in this matter
    • most recent year-end audited financial statements
    • a copy of the parish’s most recent Churchwardens’ Parochial Return
  • Submit the application to Mac Moreau for processing.


The Risk and Governance Committee meets monthly. If it approves your grant, you’ll typically be notified in writing within one week of the meeting. Depending on when we receive your complete application package, it can take about 30 days for the committee to reach a decision.


What’s the typical range of the Baker Fund Grant award?

Up to a maximum of $50,000, depending on the total project cost.

When should we apply?

Whenever possible, you should apply for a grant before the project starts or is contracted.

Do we really need a letter of support from a bishop? And how do we get one?

Yes – we can’t consider your application until it has been supported by your bishop. Contact your bishop’s office to request a letter of support. The bishop will need to see your application documents. Getting a support letter does take time, so don’t leave this until the last minute. Ideally, your bishop should be apprised of your plans from the earliest stages.

Why do we need a vestry motion?

A vestry motion confirms that the parish supports the scope of work being undertaken.

When is the money paid out?

Once your project is underway, the churchwardens must submit a written request for the release of funds. Large grant awards (such as $50,000) will be paid in equal installments over two years, starting two weeks after we receive the request.

How long do we have to claim payment from a grant?

A parish has one year from the date of being notified of its grant approval to claim payment. If the time period has elapsed, you’ll need to re-apply.

How often can we apply?

Not less than every 12 months.

Can grants be made retroactively?


Do we need to submit a feedback report?


For more information, contact the Property Resources department at