What to expect
All parish leaders, including churchwardens, deputy churchwardens, parish administrative staff, treasurers, and clergy are invited to attend. You’ll particularly want to come if you’re new to your position. If you attended in recent years, the content is very similar. The workshops are identical so you only need to attend one.
The workshops aim to meet these objectives:
- review parish governance in critical areas of knowledge
- increase your understanding and overall comfort level to support you in your position
- let you meet key diocesan staff virtually
- in small groups, analyze a case study and provide input
- learn when and how you can access resources available to you
- answer any questions you might have
This year’s workshops were held on Mar. 29, Apr. 12 and Apr. 15.
The following resources were provided that form the Toolkit:
- Workshop agenda
- Constitution and Canons of the Diocese
- Diocesan Staff Organizational Chart
- Diocesan Staff Directory by department
- Case study topics, next steps and best practices will be posted following the last workshop.
Real Property management and Insurance
- Property and Insurance
- Parish Property Management Guide
- Property resource page
- Canon 6 flowchart
- Canon 6 approvals procedure: Summary, Red checklist and attestation, Yellow checklist and attestation, Green checklist and attestation
- Insurance resource
- Human Resources presentation
- Human Resources Manual for Parishes
- Human Resources resource page
- LegalConnex: an included benefit for Ecclesiastical policyholders
- HRAssist: a value-added, included benefit for Ecclesiastical policyholders
- Professional Assist: helping policyholders manage a healthy work environment
All churchwardens need to have a completed, signed acknowledgement form on file. You need to initial beside statements acknowledging that you’ve received basic orientation in parish finance, real property management, human resources and the Responsible Ministry: Screening in Faith Policy. You complete this orientation by attending an online or in-person workshop or by reviewing the materials posted on the diocesan website.
Return your form to:
- Sue Willoughby (Etobicoke-Humber, Mississauga, North Peel, Tecumseth Deaneries)
- Sue Willoughby (Parkdale-West Toronto, St. James, Toronto East Deaneries)
- Jennifer Bolender King (Eglinton, Scarborough, York Central, York Mills Deaneries)
- Ajith Philip (Holland, Huronia, Nottawasaga, Victoria – Haliburton Deaneries)
- Ajith Philip (Durham-Northumberland, Oshawa, Peterborough Deaneries)
For more information, contact Pamela Boisvert, Secretary of Synod, at 416-363-6021 (1-800-668-8932).