Skip To Content

Mabel A. Carleton Fund Grant

The Carleton Fund Grant is only for repairs and/or renovations to rectories inhabited by clergy (or soon to be occupied by clergy). Rented rectories are not eligible. According to the terms of the trust, funds are to be directed to parishes in need of financial relief. A parish can only submit an application once every two years; as a result, Vestry must approve the making of an application.


Carleton Grants fall under the jurisdiction of the Trusts Committee. Please refer to the Carleton Fund Grant Guidelines. Projects that require a Building Permit or a loan that won’t be retired within one year require separate Diocesan Council approval under Canon 6. The terms of the trust require the congregation to contribute an amount equal to the grant in cash or materials.

Application form / checklist

  • Review the grant guidelines (above)
  • Download the Carleton Fund Grant application form
  • Consult with your area bishop
  • Your application should include:
    • a completed form with signatures of the incumbent and churchwardens of the parish
    • a letter of support from the area bishop
    • most recent audited annual report to Vestry, including all financial statements
    • current operating fund statements – year-to-date
    • a copy of the vestry meeting resolution giving approval in this matter
    • estimates from contractor(s)
  • Submit the application to Wendy Pearson, Property Resources Specialist, for processing.


Complete application packages must be received at least two weeks before the Trusts Committee meeting date (available on the Trusts Committee page). If a grant is approved, parishes are typically notified in writing within one week of the Diocesan meeting. Depending on when your complete application package is received, it can take about 30 days for a decision to be reached.

Additional information


What is the typical range of the Carleton Fund Grant award?

Up to a maximum of $12,000.

When should we apply?

Whenever possible, the application for a grant should be made before any project is commenced or contracted.

Do we really need a letter of support from a bishop? And how do we get one?

No application will be considered until it has been supported by your area bishop. Contact your area bishop’s office to request a letter of support. The bishop will need to see your application documents. Getting a support letter does take time, so don’t leave this until the last minute. Ideally, your bishop should be apprised of your plans from the earliest stages.

Why do we need a vestry motion?

A vestry motion confirms that the parish supports the scope of work being undertaken.

Can the parish only contribute monetarily?

Yes. The parish is expected to contribute an amount equal to the grant in cash or material. Voluntary labour is not to be included in calculating such a matching contribution.

When is the money paid out?

Funds will be paid after the parish has confirmed that the repairs have been made.

How long do we have to claim payment from a grant?

A parish has one year from the date of being notified of its grant approval to claim payment. If the time period has elapsed, the parish must re-apply.

How often can we apply?

Not less than every 24 months.

Can grants be made retroactively?


Do we need to submit a feedback report?


For more information, contact Wendy Person, Property Resources Specialist, at 416-363-6021, ext. 245 (1-800-668-8932).