Clergy remuneration is determined by the Area Bishop in consultation with the parish churchwardens. At the Oct. 21, 1999 Executive Committee meeting, the following motion was passed: “That the stipend of clergy paid at the minimum level be automatically adjusted on Jan. 1 of each year to reflect the annual increases for CPI and years of service.”
The clergy remuneration package consists of:
- a stipend
- either living accommodation or a reasonable housing allowance
- reasonable costs for fuel, telephone and public utilities (taxable benefits)
- the diocesan benefits plan, including group insurance, dental, vision, and extended health care
- short and long term disability
- the national professional development plan (Continuing Education)
- the pension plan
- statutory benefits such as Canada Pension Plan and Employment Insurance premiums.
Reimbursement of travel expenses will be in accordance with diocesan policy. Effective January 1, 2012, the rate is $0.52 for the first 5,000 km and $0.46 thereafter.
For more information about clergy remuneration please review the following:
- Section A of the Parish Human Resources Manual
- current annual Clergy Remuneration Information Memo (for 2019)
- previous Clergy Remuneration Information Memo (for 2018)
- Employee Premiums Memo
- previous Clergy Remuneration Information Memo (for 2017)
- Clergy Housing Policy Statement
- Housing Allowance Policy
- Fair Rental Value and Utilities Guidelines
- Benefits Information
- or contact Amy Talbert, Human Resources department
Please note that as of Jan. 1, 2010, the Canada Revenue Agency has new guidelines and procedures for clergy who wish to claim their housing allowance as a non-taxable benefit. Please read the memo which was mailed to all active clergy Nov. 4, 2009.
The 2019 T1213 package for clergy receiving a housing allowance was mailed out at the end of August. If you did not receive a package, and you receive a paid housing allowance, please contact Sarah Fang, General Accountant.
The diocesan insurance broker, Marsh Canada, is pleased to offer Preferred Group Insurance Rates for diocesan clergy and staff.
Information on remuneration for Part-Time Clergy is also available.